It has been a busy week.
I had issues with getting my work done. Let’s clarify, however, those issues are only in my head and would not necessarily be issues for others. I am one of those people who likes to get work done ahead of time. I then have a chance to be able to take a good look at what I have done and make changes when necessary and without the stress of rushing. I know that when I rush, I tend to make mistakes. That is my personality. Knowing myself, I like to do things early and I always have. I guess that we ‘cannot teach an old dog new tricks.’ Frankly, I don’t want to learn those tricks!
A software upgrade at the college meant that the usual situation of finding the online shell to work on and prepare was not visually available. I found out earlier this week that I would have to do a search from a specific page and that the search could not be by using the exact wording and punctuation. I find that when you use the exact wording that you usually get better results. Thus, when I needed to find FRE-102… I searched for FRE-102. I found out later that I needed to search with FRE 102 (no hyphen). So on Tuesday of this week, I got in and took the day to import information from previous classes, change dates, add in things, etc. I have clocked set up for a class and it ranges from between eight and ten hours of pretty intense, detail-oriented work. Incorrectly inputting information can cause a student to have difficulty when taking an exam, something to be avoided at all costs.
I pretty much finished up on Tuesday and ended up with a last minute syllabus change since my conversation hours were changed, thus changing my office hour.
I went to the department meeting on Wednesday with the thought that I was set to go.
On Thursday I received the dreaded information that due to a full-time colleague having difficulty maintaining full-time status, that my course was being taken from me so as to complete the full-timer’s schedule. That is legitimate, contract-wise, but given the situation, a bit of a letdown to say the least. And to think I was going to have five students, as opposed to the one to three students that I have been having lately.
Okay, back to the drawing board…